Celebrity endorsement for a successful hiking trail launch
Estonian State Forest Management Centre (RMK) completed the first hiking trail throughout Estonia. Parts of the 370-kilometre hiking trail were built and connected for close to 10 year. KPMS supported the launch with a PR campaign that was awarded the Estonian PR award of the year.
- Public introduction of the hiking trail and promotion of the usage
- Public introduction of fields of operation of State Forest Management Centre
- Creating general positive image for the State Forest Management Centre
- Celebrity endorsement – the first test group who completed the hiking trail were formed of Estonian celebrities in order to get more media coverage and to show that the trail can easily be completed by anyone
- Positive example – the group leader of the hike was Aigar Kallas, Chairman of the Board of the State Forest Management Centre
- Topicality – topics and headlines well-suited for summertime
- Period – the 10-day hike kept the new hiking trail steadily in media for a long time and in real time
- Creation and involvement of media channels
Celebrities completing the hiking trail in real time
- For a launch campaign (15 July – 25 July) the 370-kilometre trail was completed by a group of 20 celebrities including businessmen, actors, singers, athletes, TV and radio celebrities etc.
- Media events at the beginning and end of the test group hike
- Supported by massive news creation for media channels and for campaign’s own channels every day during the trip, such as:
“Kertu Jukkum got lost in the forest for four hours”
“Aigar Kallas: it’s a great year for berries and mushrooms”
“Check out summertime hiking recipes from Margit Härma”
“The water temperature of Estonian internal water bodies has climbed up to 20 degrees”
Creation of media channels
In order to increase the public attention, campaign’s own media channel (matkatee.postimees.ee) was created in cooperation with and within Postimees.ee, one of the largest Estonian online news sites, thoroughly covering the hiking trail. The site included a presentation of the hiking trail, news feed with daily news about the adventures of the test group, daily photo gallery from the hiking trail, and hiking tips. Kristjan Kaljund was a friendly journalist taking part in the test group and running a celebrity blog during the hike that included daily posts, photos, videos, and feature stories.
Kristjan Kaljund, freelance journalist taking part in the hike, was blogging and giving input to the PR team straight from the hiking trail. A well-known radio host Kertu Jukkum made stories from the hike for the popular Sky Plus radio station’s morning program. Entrepreneur Tiit Pruuli was writing for the Go Travel travel magazine. Local media throughout Estonia was involved for parts of the hiking trail that the test group was passing. Communication was also targeted to Russian-language media channels.
- Developing an online hiking journal to recognise everyone who have completed the new trail
- Completion of the hiking trail and the first post to the journal by the executer of the PR project
- Interviews with hikers and coverage from daily newspapers to food magazines
- Follow-up media stories
Marketing communication support
- TV, online and outdoor advertising campaign
- Map and booklet with the presentation and legend of the hiking trail at the state forest information centres
- T-shirts and novelties of the hiking trail available for purchase at the state forest information centres
- Hundreds of media stories published in TV, radio, print and online media.
- 70 000 visits on matkatee.postimees.ee web site during the campaign
- According to a reputation study (EMOR, 2012) after the campaign, two thrids of people in Estonia had heard about the hiking trail and 75% remembered it after being shown the advertisement
- Tens of private blogs created by people who have completed the hiking trail
- Estonian PR Award of the year
Positive feedback from several opinion-leaders
“All-in-all, it was an efficient campaign that successfully used the possibilities of regular and social media”
Rivo Saarna, head of PR, Idea (Best-marketing 16.01.2013)
“Liked the media approach of the hiking trail in general. Good agency-client relationship could be felt. Mission to build a bridge between nature and urbanistic crisp.”
Igor Baturin, Creative Director, Creatum (Best-marketing 24.01.2013)